With so many concerns about food right now, we felt like it would be a good time to go over some of the charitable food resources in Carlsbad. Please check with these locations to see if they have a modified scheduled for the Thanksgiving week.
- Calvary Assembly of God, located at 2107 W. Church, serves hot meals on Monday evenings at 6 p.m. Food distribution is on the third Saturday of every month. Bring an ID and container to take food home.
- The Terri Able Community Kitchen at 402 S. Alameda St. has been providing take out lunches on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday between 11 a.m. and noon.
- Abundant Harvest (Oasis Christian Church), located at 802 S. Main St., Food distribution is on Tuesdays from 9-11 a.m. Bring an ID and container to take food home.
- Jonah’s House Food Pantry, 521 W. Stevens, is Open from 9-11 a.m. Monday through Friday. They provide food assistance to families one time a month with a referral.
- Faith Hope & Love, located across the street from the Denton Wood Funeral Home, has ready to eat meals and pantry staples. Operating hours are 9-11 a.m. Monday through Thursday by appointment only. Call (575) 941-2022 for more information.
- SECAC Senior Meal Site, 915 San Jose Boulevard, (575) 885-1402. Homebound seniors are receiving delivered meals. SECAC is also offering a drive-thru meal pickup.
- United Way of Eddy County Food Distribution is taking place on the 2nd Friday of every month beginning at 10 a.m. Please call (575) 887-3504 for information.
- Packs for Hunger provides food on the weekends for children enrolled in the program. Please call Carlsbad Municipal Schools for information about enrolling your child in this program.
- The New Mexico Aging & Long Term Services Department will aid seniors with groceries if needed. Please call 1-800-432-2080 if desired.
There are also a number of businesses and charitable organizations holding special food drives or drive-thru meal programs.
The Trinity Hotel is serving up its 7th annual Blessing Dinner to all of Carlsbad from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Nov. 25. Pick up the meals at the drive-thru. Call in large orders to 234-9891. Thank you to the Balzano family for continuing with this great tradition.
The Carlsbad Community of Hope Center is offering Grab & Go Hot Meals at 2 p.m. Nov. 24. The Center is located at 1314 S. Canal St.
Please let us know of other charitable food efforts and we’ll be happy to share them.
The Carlsbad Library has also asked us to remind you that they are offering curbside pickup as well. You can’t eat what the library has to offer, but it is worth checking out as well.
Log in to your library account at https://carlsbad.biblionix.com/catalog/ to browse and reserve items, or call us at 885-6776 if you need assistance selecting materials.
You can pick up books, graphic novels, DVD movies, STEAM kits and legal forms from our library.
If you don’t have a library card, we are able to offer digital materials you can download from home. To request a digital-only card to tide you over until you can come in person to get a full-access library card, visit https://www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com/departments/carlsbad-public-library/ or call the library at 885-6776. The library staff is able to take calls Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
We hope you have a great weekend.
Carlsbad Mayor Dale Janway